‘Greater love hath no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.’ John 15:13
For a potted history of the church with photos please click on the following links. The history is in no way complete, more a work in progress.
The present church building was built between 1911 and 1914 but not completed till 1962. The original architects were F H Greenway & J E Newberry, and the church was completed at the West End by John Stammers, forming a narthex with balcony above. It is built on a site that slopes steeply to the south east.
St Andrew’s Church was consecrated in 1914, just after the start of the Great War and on Sunday 2nd October 2014 we celebrated our Centenary with a musical extravaganza.
Click here to re-
There is one bell in the tower, which is rung regularly before services and at other appropriate times. The bell was cast in 1914 by the Whitechapel foundry (then trading under the Mears & Stainbank name). It is 24 1/8″ in diameter and is believed to weigh about 3cwt. It contains a simple inscription relating to its manufacture and is hung for ringing.
Please click here to view an extensive photo gallery of the church.